U.S. Brand Protection & Trademark Seminar
APRIL 16-19, 2024
Registration will open December 2023
Who Should Attend?
- Corporate general counsel and legal staff seeking an understanding of U.S. trademark law to properly protect their brand
- International attorneys, agents, paralegals, and trademark administrators looking to develop a thorough understanding of U.S. trademark practice
- Advertising, marketing, and licensing professionals interested in properly using trademarks in advertising copy and advising their clients about the selection and proper use of trademarks
Brand Protection in the United States
The U.S. Brand Protection & Trademark Seminar is designed to provide participants with a comprehensive overview of the selection, clearance, registration, enforcement, proper use, and protection of brands and trademarks.
Beginning with introductory lectures on the fundamental purpose of brands and trademarks and how their rights are created, the topics become more complex throughout the week, exploring advanced topics such as inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), domain name and social media issues, anti-counterfeiting and litigation. Our knowledgeable lecturers draw from many years of experience in the trademark field and focus on real-life case examples.
The seminar will provide the type of practical training that cannot be obtained from normal legal texts. In addition, questions and open discussion among the participants are encouraged. Prior experience with trademark law is not required, and participants with basic trademark knowledge will expand their understanding of more advanced topics.
In addition to the academic component of the seminar, BSKB strives to help our non-U.S. participants experience, enjoy, and appreciate the American way of life and culture. Likewise, our U.S. participants have a chance to explore the Washington, D.C. area and learn about the cultures of their non-U.S. classmates. Many friendships and business relationships are made during the course of the seminar that last long after the seminar concludes.
CLE Credit Available
An estimated 18 hours of Virginia CLE credit will be available. Participants can use the Virginia credit approval form to apply for credit in their respective states.
Lectures are held at the Falls Church, Virginia offices of BSKB, in the metropolitan Washington, DC area. Classes will be held from 9:30 a.m. to approximately 4:00 p.m. each day, and lunch will be provided. Social events providing dinner will also be available at no additional cost.
The registration deadline is March 15, 2024. Preference in registration will be given to BSKB clients and prospective clients. The cost for the 2024 Seminar is $1,250. This includes all lecture materials, lunches, and social events.
Please contact BSKB with any questions.
Principles of Brand Protection
- Selecting Strong Brands and Marks
- Proper Mark Use
- Social Media Issues
- Domain Name Issues
- Policing & Enforcing your Brand
Fundamentals of Trademark Law
- Creation and Maintenance of Trademark Rights
- Conducting Trademark Searches
- Confusion between Marks
- Preparation of a Trademark Application
- Ex Parte Procedures
- Substantive Amendments to Applications
- Special Procedures for Intent to Use Applications
- Amendments to Allege Use
- Statement of Use Requirements
- Preparation of Declarations
- Strategies for Avoiding Common Pitfalls
After Registration Procedures
- Section 8 and/or 15 Declarations
- Renewal Applications
- Policing a Trademark
- Practice Before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Licensing and Assignment of Trademark Rights
- Inter Partes Matters
- Opposition Proceedings
- Cancellation Proceedings
- Interference Proceedings
- Concurrent Use Proceedings
- Negotiation of Settlements in Inter Partes Cases
- Procedure in U.S. Courts
- Substantive Issues in Trademark Cases
- Developing and Protecting Trade Dress