U.S. Brand Protection & Trademark Seminar
April 13-16, 2020
Metropolitan Washington, DC
Who Should Attend?
- Corporate general counsel and legal staff seeking an understanding of U.S. trademark law in order to properly protect their brand
- International attorneys, agents, paralegals and trademark administrators looking to develop a thorough understanding of U.S. trademark practice
- Advertising, marketing and licensing professionals interested in properly using trademarks in advertising copy and advising their clients about selection and proper use of trademarks
Brand Protection in the United States
The U.S. Brand Protection & Trademark Seminar is designed to provide participants with a comprehensive overview of the selection, clearance, registration, enforcement, proper use and protection of brands and trademarks. Beginning with introductory lectures on the fundamental purpose of brands and trademarks and how their rights are created, the topics become more complex throughout the week, exploring advanced topics such as inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), domain name and social media issues, anti-counterfeiting and litigation. Our knowledgeable lecturers draw from many years of experience in the trademark field and focus on real life case examples.
The seminar will provide the type of practical training that cannot be obtained from normal legal texts. In addition, questions and open discussion among the participants are encouraged. Prior experience with trademark law is not required, and participants with basic trademark knowledge will expand their understanding of more advanced topics. Since attendance is limited, we recommend that you register as soon as possible to reserve your space. Preference in registration will be given to BSKB clients.
In addition to the academic component of the seminar, BSKB strives to help our non-U.S. participants experience, enjoy and appreciate the American way of life and culture. Likewise our U.S. participants have a chance to explore the Washington, D.C. area and learn about the cultures of their non-U.S. classmates. Many friendships and business relationships are made during the course of the seminar that last long after the seminar concludes.
CLE Credit Available
Estimated 18 hours of Virginia CLE credit will be available. Participants can use the Virginia credit approval form to apply for credit in their respective states.
Classes will be held from 9:30 a.m. to approximately 4:00 p.m. each day, and lunch will be provided. Social events providing dinner will be held on Monday and Wednesday evening.
Registrations are due by March 13, 2020, and preference in registration will be given to BSKB clients and prospective clients. The cost for the 2020 Seminar is $1,250. This includes all lecture materials, digital text book, lunches and social events.
Please contact BSKB with any questions.
Principles of Brand Protection
- Selecting Strong Brands and Marks
- Proper Mark Use
- Social Media Issues
- Domain Name Issues
- Policing & Enforcing your Brand
Fundamentals of Trademark Law
- Creation and Maintenance of Trademark Rights
- Conducting Trademark Searches
- Confusion between Marks
- Preparation of a Trademark Application
- Ex Parte Procedures
- Substantive Amendments to Applications
- Special Procedures for Intent to Use Applications
- Amendments to Allege Use
- Statement of Use Requirements
- Preparation of Declarations
- Strategies for Avoiding Common Pitfalls
After Registration Procedures
- Section 8 and/or 15 Declarations
- Renewal Applications
- Policing a Trademark
- Practice Before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board
- Licensing and Assignment of Trademark Rights
- Inter Partes Matters
- Opposition Proceedings
- Cancellation Proceedings
- Interference Proceedings
- Concurrent Use Proceedings
- Negotiation of Settlements in Inter Partes Cases
- Procedure in U.S. Courts
- Substantive Issues in Trademark Cases
- Developing and Protecting Trade Dress
Registration for the 2020 U.S. Brand Protection and Trademark Seminar Opening Soon!